I packed my first box today. I have been thinking about packing for at least a week. We moved into this small townhouse before Rafael was born and a lot of stuff has come through the door, but, I'm embarrassed to admit, hardly any stuff has left. So I have high hopes of getting rid of maybe half of our stuff before we move. I once heard Peter Walsh, the organizational guru, say that in order to get organized try to take 2 bags of stuff out of your house each day, one to donate, one to throw away. I'm thinking maybe if I take one box of junk out for every box I pack I might be able to really pare down on what we have.
Just thinking about this, I'm wondering if I should repack the ONE box I have packed and get rid of half of the videos that are in there. I know some of you out there are really good at organization. So can someone please give me some tips? Please? Detachment is key here. I just have to tell myself that I don't need most of this stuff and that I'm not really saving any money by dragging it around with me. I can't believe that I'm admitting this in print, but we still have stuff back in Virginia that my kind, understanding, and helpful sister, Andria, is storing for us. Granted, it's nice stuff like furniture and china, but can you believe that we have stuff on the other side of the country that we left behind 5 years ago? Second true confession, we still have stuff in Lincoln at my dad's house that we left behind more than 3 years ago. After we move, I'm definitely going to go to Lincoln and purge all that stuff. Good thing there's a thrift store just down the street. ;)
But anyway, for all of you experienced packers, movers and organizers, please give me advice. I really want to turn over a new leaf here so that we haven't outgrown our new house before we even move in!
5 comments:
Well...I'm not really that experienced in packing, as I only did it the one time and I officially sucked at it. But I do hate "crap" and love to organize.
This is what I did. If I'm questioning whether I want to keep something or not, chances are it's something I really don't NEED. Put it in the garbage. Don't just set it in the garbage, either, because you'll be tempted to go back and get it. SMASH it in the garbage, under some spaghetti-o's and peanut butter and make it really disgusting so you won't be tempted to pull it back out. Then walk away and don't think about it again. Ever. ;c)
Really...I just had to take a huge box and -- without even giving stuff a second thought -- just throw junk in and forget about it. Once you take the box of junk out of your apartment, you'll feel so good about yourself. I swear, you'll never miss the stuff.
You know what you NEED and you know what's really important. Keep that. Ditch the rest.
We easily got rid of 1/4 of the contents of our apartment by the time we left...maybe even more, I guess I don't really know. But you CAN do it! Go you!
I am so happy for you all!!! What is the address of the new house?? I have a good friend in Gretna.
Get 3 large boxes. Mark them "Throw Away" "Give Away" "Keep" (Be brutal) HA! Good Luck Sweetie!! I wish I was close enough to help!! Life really is easier when you "unclutter" !!!!
Love,
Aunt Jo
Throwing stuff away is my stress reliever, and Matt will vouch that I am really good at it. Often I take a grocery sack around our place and get rid of old papers, receipts, broken toys, packaging material, etc. If it's something I want to remember but not flat to put in a scrapbook, I take a picture of it and put that in the scrapbook, and get rid of it. If you're not totally 100% sure you want to keep something (like you don't use it regularly, or even at least every year) ditch it. I'm sure you are the keeper/finder of everything in your house, and the more kids we have the easier it has gotten for me to get rid of things. If I had to leave in a hurry, I would take our scrapbooks and file folder with important documents and the clothes on my back. Everything else can be replaced. Sorry so long, I'm tired and need sleep.
I'm terrible at this, I can only purge when Rob is there gently encouraging me. "We don't really need it, let someone else use/wear it."
Our last move was from one side of Nashville to the other. So much little junk, and I packed almost every little piece. I keep the broken toys that your friend wisely throws away thinking I'll fix them someday. I think this is an illness.
I'm happy to say that we have done a huge clearing out on clothes, but further cuts need to be made still. Stuff and papers and toys, that's gonna take me a while.
Good luck!! So glad the contract is signed, and praying the inspection goes well.
Hey hon - i am a veteran pack and mover....but i don't have two kiddos to pack up too! I will tell you tho - in my experience it is best to be ruthless - and those things you "find" when you start packing that you didn't miss in the least, send them straight into the giveaway pile. and for SURE avoid the "but maybe i could use this in x project or if y happens..." thought process. x project never requires whatever the heck it is, and y definitely never happens. ;) Good luck and can't wait to see pics of your house!
Post a Comment